Thursday, May 23, 2013
In y2 today we put a second layer of papier mache onto our dinosaur armatures. The first layer was newspaper, this one was crepe paper. It means we don't have to paint them and it makes for a great texture. The reason why they only have necks is because we're going to make heads that have jaws that open and close by pneumatics! The necks are hollow so that we can fit the syringes and piping down them, out of sight.
Monday, May 20, 2013
An ancient Greek version of the recent Viking figure. Am seriously thinking of putting together a booklet of warriors through the ages, that utilises this generic, very simple but ingenious method of construction. Any thoughts on which figures to include?
Friday, May 17, 2013
In FS2 we've been creating writing 'bugs'. This is a very large dragonfly taking shape - papier mache and wire construction.
On my worktable are a couple of prototype Vikings. These are card 3d models that I'm planning to do with our Y4's, to compliment their longships. They stand around 12cm tall.
Wednesday, May 15, 2013
Yesterday in Y4 we finished off our Viking ships - clay hulls (coil pot method), wooden spar (lollipop stick) & mast (thin dowel), cotton sail, thread rigging, card shields.
We've glued them to bases - here they are drying;
Tuesday, May 14, 2013
In Y3 we used straws to blow watery paint around.
We then used these fantastic 'paintings' to create images of the Gorgon's - those mythical sisters from Ancient Greece (Medusa, Stheno & Euryole) who, with one glance, could turn you to stone.
We used ring reinforcers ( those little sticky circles) for the eyes and added other details with felt tip pens.
Sunday, May 12, 2013
In Y6 we continued with our theme of 'Bridges' in Design Technology and looked at arched structures. After realising that an arch is much stronger than a beam ( using strips of paper across a gap and wooden blocks for weights) we set about making trapezoidal prisms (using a pre-printed net).
We then tried to see if we could assemble them into arch - it worked - so long as the bottom blocks on each side were glued to the base sheet. Each block held the others in place, just like in a real arch!
We've displayed them alongside our appliqued riverscapes.