Thursday, May 23, 2013

maxi beasts

 In y2 today we put a second layer of papier mache onto our dinosaur armatures. The first layer was newspaper, this one was crepe paper. It means we don't have to paint them and it makes for a great texture. The reason why they only have necks is because we're going to make heads that have jaws that open and close by pneumatics! The necks are hollow so that we can fit the syringes and piping down them, out of sight.


Monday, May 20, 2013

on my worktable

An ancient Greek version of the recent Viking figure. Am seriously thinking of putting together a booklet of warriors through the ages, that utilises this generic, very simple but ingenious method of construction. Any thoughts on which figures to include?

Friday, May 17, 2013

papier mache & card

In FS2 we've been creating writing 'bugs'. This is a very large dragonfly taking shape - papier mache and wire construction.

On my worktable are a couple of prototype Vikings. These are card 3d models that I'm planning to do with our Y4's, to compliment their longships. They stand around 12cm tall.

Wednesday, May 15, 2013

the vikings are coming

Yesterday in Y4 we finished off our Viking ships - clay hulls (coil pot method), wooden spar (lollipop stick) & mast (thin dowel), cotton sail, thread rigging, card shields.
We've glued them to bases - here they are drying;

Tuesday, May 14, 2013


In Y3 we used straws to blow watery paint around.
We then used these fantastic 'paintings' to create images of the Gorgon's - those mythical sisters from Ancient Greece (Medusa, Stheno & Euryole) who, with one glance, could turn you to stone. 

We used ring reinforcers ( those little sticky circles) for the eyes and added other details with felt tip pens.

Sunday, May 12, 2013

bridge building

In Y6 we continued with our theme of 'Bridges' in Design Technology and looked at arched structures. After realising that an arch is much stronger than a beam ( using strips of paper across a gap and wooden blocks for weights) we set about making trapezoidal prisms (using a pre-printed net). 
We then tried to see if we could assemble them into arch - it worked - so long as the bottom blocks on each side were glued to the base sheet. Each block held the others in place, just like in a real arch!

We've displayed them alongside our appliqued riverscapes.

Friday, May 10, 2013


The clay ants have escaped from the classroom and are trying to find a way out of the building!

They've been blu-tacked onto the wall of the stairwell and have caused several folk to do a double take!

Wednesday, May 8, 2013

plein air

We've been painting 'murials' (in Hilda Ogden speak) on the outside wall of our FS1 building. It's a work in progress and will take a good few weeks (time and weather permitting) as there's over 20m of wall to do!

We've started with flowers and vegetables as this section is next to the garden area.

Monday, May 6, 2013

painted pots

Today in Y3 we painted the 'Greek' pots we made over the last two weeks. A mix of black paint and s'graffito with a bent paperclip resulted in this image of Medusa.

A lot of the pots had cracked but this only added to their 'ancient-ness' - we chose to explain it away by saying that of course they'd be like that after over 2000 years!

Saturday, May 4, 2013

today in town

The annual car-fest - it was cluttered with lots of brand spanking new motors. But, hidden away in a quiet corner, were lots of classics assembling ready for a sedate cruise around the streets. German motors obviously predominated although I did spot an MGB, a Roller (convertible no-less) and a Ford Capri (didn't snap them in particular tho').
 Did however, get as close as I'm probably ever going to get to a Ferrari - couldn't resist taking a pic of the engine - so sculptural! 

Wednesday, May 1, 2013

new painting

Another mixed media piece. This one's called 'Faye'. She's on a 13x18cm canvas board and utilises the usual range of materials. I must try and get around to listing all of these pieces - I'll keep you posted.


In Y1 today we did paper-weaving using strips of paper to represent the scales of fish. 

The children will be looking at the book 'Rainbow Fish' next week so it should prove a good stimulus.