In y3 today, as part of their studies about India, we used our woodblocks to print onto fabric. We designed and made the woodblocks last week from balsa wood - a thick piece with cut balsa sheet glued on.
The children were encouraged to line up their blocks carefully to ensure a regular repeat pattern.
An overview of some of the printed pieces of fabric.
The intention is to display them by draping them around a simple silhouette, so as to resemble an Indian woman wearing a sari.
Today y1 made robots. From a simple pre-printed sheet they crafted some very benign looking 'bots. None of your 'evil, destroy the world at all costs' characters here.
Whilst higher up the school in y5 we created 3d space pictures.You probably can't see it all that well from this image but the astronaut figure is held out from the background by a pipecleaner (cunningly doubling up as the safety line).
In FS2, after reading a 'dark, dark tale' about a cat and a mouse, we created collage pictures of the main characters. We drew round plastic templates, cut out and then stuck down the shapes to make our pictures. We added details (whiskers, tails) using pencil crayons.
Apologies for the lack of posts lately - we are in the midst of a dreaded Ofsted inspection (ask anyone who is or knows a teacher and they'll concur). Hopefully it will all turn out fine in the end, fingers crossed. To calm the nerves I managed a couple of card drawings this lunchtime.
I've tried listing them in my Etsy/Folksy shops and even sending samples out to various real shops but so far no takers. Still, I'm determined to keep trying.
I did sell one of my paintings on Folksy though - yay!
The y5's have been rigging their ships today. Once the 'seas' have been done they'll be off on their voyages of discovery - around the school. We are going to display them in small groups at ad hoc points around and about the school building and 'allow' the rest of the school to 'discover' them as they are moving between lessons. We intend to move them around from place to place to keep it all fresh. We'll have to try and find some unusual places in which to place them.
Today we made caves. We started out by making thumb pots, before turning them on their sides and reshaping them into cave-like structures. For added effect we embedded stones and twigs. For 4/5 year olds I think they did really well. They will be used to enhance their literacy work - story-telling.
The y3's have completed their embroidered applique elephant designs. En masse, pinned up on the wall, they look very effective.